Well, I’ve almost finished my new website. So here’s a short reflection and summary.
I made my new website with the Hugo SSG. It’s been great so far and certainly an upgrade from Jekyll:
- It’s faster than Jekyll (Go vs Ruby)
- Great docs and active community and development
- Just a single binary (installing Jekyll took me always at least 15 mins)
- I think it’s just better (I feel more productive with Hugo)
I don’t enjoy doing frontend much, but I put some work into CSS this time and I think it shows.
I added some JS too, I’m not as autistic about the web as I used to be:
- Lightbox for photos
- List filters and other little tools
- Katex for rendering math
Still it’s quite fast and low on bandwith.
Currently I import most notes from Roam Research. (making it all work required quite some effort and lots of regex) I might abandon RR in the future and just write my notes directly here as I do with school notes now. My setup is quite comfy, I basically have Obsidian opened on the content folder and just write plain markdown with a little bit of YAML in the frontamtter.